Moto Moto is a character of Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, a minor character in it's video game adaption and a handsome, muscular hippopotamus with a deep voice who loves to play hide and seek with the girl hippos and enjoys flirting with them by use of words or by flexing his chest muscles. He isn't extremely bright, but is a sweet ladies' man. He is rowdy, raucous, bullying, strident, zany, aggressive, cool, boastful, greedy, not-too-bright, fun-loving, mischievous, helpful, a cheater, caring, friendly, energetic, cheerful, playful and confident. His theme song is Big and Chunky.
Moto Moto is described by him as being "aggressive but friendly," and is the way the standard male hippo should look. He falls in love with Gloria and she is delighted. But later as they have their date in a lake, he confesses that the only reason he really loves her is for her body. Gloria accepts this until Melman shows up and tells him everything that Gloria likes and hates. Though Gloria and Moto Moto have broken up, they still remain best friends.
Melman frequently mispronounces his name, mostly on purpose to annoy or insult him.
Moto Moto means "hot hot" in Swhalili .
- He is similar to King Louie from The Jungle Book (1967):
- Both are the tertiary antagonists of their films (in which Shere Khan and Nana are the main antagonists; Kaa and Makunga are the secondary antagonists).
- Both are zany and funny villains.
- Both of their roles are minor.
- Both torture a friend of theirs (Gloria and Mowgli).
- Both have their theme songs (Big and Chunky and I Wanna Be Like You).
- Both later get distracted by their friends' true friend (Melman and Baloo) and betray their friends (Melman shows up and tells him everything that Gloria likes and hates and King Louie dances with Baloo).
- Both get killed (Moto Moto is out of water and dies of thirst and King Louie is killed by rocks).
- He is also similar to Lou the Goanna from the FernGully duology:
- Both are voiced by famous rappers (will.i.am for Moto Moto, Tone Lōc for Lou).
- Both briefly appear to be bullies to the protagonists (Moto Moto to Melman, Lou to Zak).
- His voice is modeled after the singer Barry White.